A decade ago, I could not live without my comfortable cork-based, leather strapped sandal: The Birkenstock, specifically the Arizona. Sadly, the fashion police condemned the chunky sandal silhouette until Phoebe Philo rejuvenated the Birkenstock-inspired sandals at the Céline Spring/Summer 2013 collection in Paris. THANK YOU! From grandma to glam, the Birkenstock trend is still going strong. I’m currently wearing my Birkies and it is indeed a life-saver for all pregnant women (and those who loathed heels). If the Olsen twins are rockin’ it, so should you.
- Birkenstock Arizona two band sandals (US$120.00) available at Shopbop
- Ash Kab Slide Sandals (US$150.00) available at Shopbop
- Givenchy Barka leather sandals (£590.00) available at MyTheresa
- Rachel Zoe Fawn Two Band Flat Sandals (
$255.00US$127.50) available at Shopbop
- ASOS FILTHY RICH Leather Flatform Sliders(SGD$86.64) available at ASOS
- Topshop Fang Double Buckle Flatforms (£52.00) available at Topshop
So, this is how you ROCK your Birkenstocks or Slide Sandals this summer:
#1: PEDICURE. PEDICURE. PEDICURE.
If you’re going to bare your feet this summer, make sure you’ve got your toes looking fresh and pretty.
#2: Keep your outfit casual chic and simple.
There is no need to go all print-on-print, just keep it plain and simple. A nice, crisp white shirt with patent leather pencil skirt. Or a top over a shirt and jeans. Birkenstocks is not high-fashion but it is the go-to street-style footwear.
#3 Go Experimental: Socks + Birkenstocks?
You heard me. Yay or nay? Garance Dore first spotted this trend in 2012 and if you are stuck in the middle of winter like me, it’s a totally awesome idea. Or, just to jazz things up a little bit!
Gimme a moment, I’m going to shop for my Birkenstock Arizona right now on Shopbop!